Piano Cleveland seeks a dynamic arts professional to join us as our PianoLab Instructor!
- Enjoy using your creativity to teach group piano lessons to Grades 9-12 students?
- Thrive on building partnerships with schools and families around a love of piano?
- Love working with colleagues to create transformative musical experiences?
If you answered yes to these questions, we hope you will consider applying to join our team. Piano Cleveland is a small but mighty arts organization dedicated to promoting the future of piano music both in Cleveland and abroad. We are best known for our signature event, the Cleveland International Piano Competition, in addition to presenting concerts and community engagement experiences for piano lovers of all ages and backgrounds.
As one of the Instructors of our pilot PianoLab program, you will play an essential role in bringing piano music to Grades 9-12 students at the Cleveland School of the Arts (CSA). You will deliver group instruction from the keyboard to music students using the digital Roland Piano Lab system. You will also work collaboratively with the Education and Community Engagement Lead to bring the pilot program to life. Piano Cleveland has built a curriculum for this program that uses the keyboard to broaden general musicianship skills. The students you will teach are music students interested in increasing their skills in theory, and musical creativity through the piano.
Lead successful launch (Spring 2024 Semester) and execution of PianoLab program at CSA, including:
- Teaching four 35-minute group lessons to up to eight students at a time, twice per week
- Delivering the PianoLab curriculum to students in an engaging and age-appropriate manner
- Differentiating piano instruction among younger and older students
- Ensuring instrument technology functions appropriately, and troubleshooting tech issues that may arise
- Collaborate with Education and Community Engagement Lead to ensure successful completion of the program by:
- Assisting in building and overseeing evaluation criteria to measure program impact
- Assisting in planning and execution of end-of-program assessment for student participants
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Preferred experience in music education, childhood education, and/or music
- Creative individual with knowledge of planning, designing, and implementing innovative and exceptional arts education content, lesson plans, and programming
- Comfortable staying up-to-date on current PreK-12 learning standards and trends
- Is excited to teach general musicianship from the piano
- Exemplary at working with diverse individuals across a variety of backgrounds
- Able to understand the challenges and opportunities in urban settings
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional communications skills
- Self-motivated with enthusiasm to try new things
- Takes initiative
- Willing and excited to be a part of a collaborative and supportive team in a fast-paced creative environment
- Preferred but not required:
- Knowledge of classical music and/or piano music
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience working as a music educator or performer; especially in a non-profit setting
Salary, Benefits, and Schedule
- $50 per 35-minute group lesson
- Lessons will take place two days per week, Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday, depending on instructor availability
- Each day there will be four 35-minute group lessons between the hours of 10AM – 2:30PM
- Lessons will be held at the Cleveland School of the Arts from February to mid-June
Piano Cleveland is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter detailing why you are interested in this position to Emily Shelley, Education and Community Engagement Lead: [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday, January 19th at noon.
- Job Types: Temporary, Part-time
- Salary: $50.00 per 35-minute lesson
- Schedule: Between 10AM – 2:30PM twice per week (Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday)
- Ability to Commute/Relocate: Cleveland, OH 44106: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Work Location: In person